Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 16 February 2014

Smitten

Tuesday, February 16th., Victoria Grove, Chelsea.

When I saw Miriam Clements as the Princess of Pannonia in "My Friend the Prince" at the Garrick tonight I realised that the story of Helen of Troy was potentially if not actually true. For the first few moments I was inclined to think the report of her extraordinary beauty somewhat exaggerated. Then I began to appreciate. Then shortly I could think of nothing else but her face and figure. She was dressed in a regal outdoor costume of blue velvet, with a large waving hat. Her dark hair, carried down from the forehead in a slight curve so as to cover most of the ear, half hid the most wonderful woman's face I have ever seen - not a face with regular classic features, but one finely, bafflingly irregular, full of lovely lines and firmly marked character, and the eyes with a strange, sad, imperious expression .... The sight of her gave me an understanding sympathy with the man who 'goes mad' about a woman, dishonours himself to possess her, and continues to worship her, let her be as contemptuous or as vile as she may. Previously, I had only a sneer for such madness.

The Princess, Miss Clements, is the handsomest person I have seen on the stage since Miss Millard acted in , "The Prisoner of Zenda," and looked the part so perfectly that one was not astonished at finding her professing to be a royal personage, except that so few royal personages possess her attractions. It seemed only right that she should wear a tiara of real diamonds and costumes that Empresses might copy.
From a review of  "The Princess of Pannonia" in The Westminster Budget 23/04/97

No comments:

Post a Comment