Welcome to our blog!

It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!

This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.

And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday, 26 April 2014

Working well

Friday, April 26th., Yacht Club, London.

I was poisoned by something at the Club on Wednesday, and had a revolutionary night followed be enfeeblement. However the ideas for my play were working so well yesterday that I worked practically all day, and wrote two scenes.

On Wednesday night (prior to the revolution) I had Professor Henry S. Cunby (English Literature) of Yale, after dinner at the Reform. Wells joined in. A young man, probably about 30, markedly dressed as a tourist. Very amiable and bright. But apparently just like a million other young Americans. Still, he made one or two shrewd remarks and liked "Candide".

Henry Seidel Canby (1878 – 1961) was a critic, editor, and Yale University professor. A scion of a Quaker family that arrived in Wilmington, Delaware, around 1740 and grew to regional prominence through milling and business affairs, Henry Seidel Canby was a son of Edward T. Canby. Canby was born in Wilmington, and attended Wilmington Friends School. He graduated from Yale in 1899, then taught at the university until becoming a professor in 1922. Following a four-year stint as the editor of the Literary Review of the New York Evening Post, Canby became one of the founders and editors of the Saturday Review of Literature, serving as the last until 1936.

Additionally for April 26th., see 'Incidents of war'

About midnight (previous) an orderly came on a motor bike and looked in the front garden. I challenged from the window. He had an order for Lieut. Myers to report at once at the Orderly Office. Myers was up all night. Then in the morning's papers was the news of the capture of Sir Roger Casement in an attempt at gun-running in Ireland. Then came telegram of riots and seizure of the Post Office at Dublin.
Then Myers came in with the news (which he had overheard on the telephone) that a German fleet had been within five miles of Lowestoft between 4 and 5 a.m., and also that Zeppelins had been over. Then came telegram with official news of a short naval action off Lowestoft.

No comments:

Post a Comment