Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 2 May 2014

For charity

Tuesday, May 2nd., Comarques, Thorpe-le-Soken.

The MS. of "Helen with the High Hand" sold for £27 at the Red Cross sale at Christie's on Friday. This was the last day of the sale. Bookseller Beaumont bought it.

I have written to inform Doran that in the the issue for December 23rd., of the New York Nation there is an extremely fine article on me by Stuart P. Sherman. On the whole I regard it as the best article I have ever seen on the subject. I should very much like to have seen this article reprinted, either with other by the same hand or alone, but I suppose there is no chance of this. I should judge it to be about 5,000 words in length.

Additionally for May 2nd., see 'Almost idyllic'

We both enjoy ourselves tremendously here. I take pleasure that may positively be called 'keen' in walking across the park, getting a shave in a picturesque talkative barber's shop, and then strolling about the town. Our surroundings are certainly almost ideal; and the weather now is ditto. The fruit trees are in blossom. Lilac and peonies are coming. I startled a lizard yesterday in the forest. And there is a general cloak of thin green on the branches. We have tea in the kiosk, and eat our other meals with the door open. Today I had to close the persiennes of my study against sun and heat. And this month I shall be 41!

No comments:

Post a Comment