Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 3 March 2016

On being a dog

February 1916, Comarques, Thorpe-le-Soken

You may have noticed that I have sometimes written (in my short stories) about dogs - I mean real dogs, not the quadruped. All my adult life I have had a secret ambition to be one. A particular attribute of doggish men is the ability to lean up against the bar in a public house or an hotel, in just the right negligent posture, and say the right things to the barmaid. I have often, at a distance, seen other men do this feat apparently with complete success. Recently whilst I was in Glasgow on a mission I leaned up against the bar in a leading hotel there, and began. I had the moral support of a friend, also aspiring to doggishness. Some pleasantry was addressed to the barmaid. I can remember only her reply which was: "You can't tell me the tale. This is my second time on earth." We were beaten off with great loss, and the incident has closed my career as a bar frequenter.


Image result for Auster illusionsI have made several attempts to read the novels of Paul Auster, most recently yesterday when I commenced his "The Book of Illusions". It started well enough, an engaging narrative with an element of mystery and an interesting historical context - that was yesterday and I went to bed with some pleasure of anticipation to continue the book today. What a disappointment! The book quickly degenerated into a series of increasingly detailed and implausible descriptions of the narrator's experiences in an obscure film-maker's desert hideaway. Perhaps the title should have alerted me not to expect anything I could make sense of. I have yet to finish an Auster book and yet he has such a high reputation. Perhaps he is simply too subtle for me? This will be my last attempt to unravel his particular mystery.

I doubt if Auster is a dog, or if he is he will be some sort of pedigree rare breed. As for myself, on reflection, I am inclined to think that doggishness is over-rated. Somebody once asked me what animal I would like to 'return' as should I be reincarnated - I think a cat would suit me better.

No comments:

Post a Comment