Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 10 November 2017

No gushing

Friday, November 10th., Fulham Park Gardens, London.

After cogitating off and on all through the night I decided upon what will probably be the first sentence of my "Anna Tellwright" novel: "Bursley, the ancient home of the potter, has an antiquity of a thousand years" - and also upon the arrangement of the first long paragraph describing the Potteries. Now that I have a beginning, I am confident that by steady application I can make my novel a good one.

Image result for Cyril Maude haymarket
Cyril Maude
This evening, at his request, I called to 'have a chat' with Cyril Maude at the Haymarket Theatre. I saw him in his dressing room, a small place with the walls all sketched over by popular artists. Round the room was a dado border of prints of Nicholson's animal drawings. Although the curtain would not rise for over half an hour Maude was made-up and dressed. he was very kind and good natured about my one-act play, "The Stepmother", without overflowing into that gush which nearly all actors give off on all occasions of politeness. He said that he and Harrison would certainly consider seriously any 3 or 4 act play of mine. He advised me against doing any more curtain raisers. He seems genuinely interested in my work which is a great encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment