Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 11 March 2018

Time off

Sunday, March 11th., Cadogan Square, London.

Returned from my short 'break' in Hampshire this morning in time to attend my dancing lesson. Enjoyed my visit, especially Stonehenge on Friday. 

Related imageMost people think of Stonehenge as the great stone circle, which it is, but it is more than that as well. I walked all about the surrounding landscape with the intention of trying to think myself into the minds of the people for whom it was a sacred space. I can't honestly say I succeeded - rather too great a feat of imagination for me, but I felt as if I made some progress. For example the 'Avenue' which went from the river to the stones, but not directly. I found a spot on Coneybury hill which commands a view of the whole landscape and felt sure that people must have positioned themselves there to watch the processions unfolding 'below'. And there is a barrow on the hill which suggests to me that at least somebody of importance wanted to continue oversight after death. Very atmospheric to follow the route of the Avenue, which is still discernible, and to see the stones appear as one climbs a slope from lower ground. I'm sure this must have been an intentional moment of drama for the participants.

Otherwise I was generally strolling about, reading a bit, doing some word puzzles and having good conversation. Main thing - not working! 

As for the dancing, I was keen not to miss my lesson. Perhaps it is strange to be learning to dance at the age of 58, but it is good exercise, I am enjoying it (some very pretty young dancing partners), and I want to be able to keep up with Dorothy, at least to some extent. The head of the little dancing school where I am being taught came to watch me today. He said to me: "What you want is courage, decision. Don't be afraid of 'em (women). Remember that they have to do what you want. You've got 'em. And it's the only time you have got 'em."

No comments:

Post a Comment