Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 10 March 2020

Perennially discontented

Tuesday, March 10th., Cadogan Square, London.

It feels so cold here, and grey, and I feel gloomy.

To think that only a few days ago, at this same time, I was strolling about, shirt-sleeved, with a light jacket slung casually over one shoulder, savouring the warm evening air and the sound of the sea. Was it a dream? Why did I return? When may I go back? Ah, well ... I know that this ennui will pass and I will settle to my work once more, and feel contented. Strange to say that before I set off to come home I felt myself ready to return and was positively looking forward to being surrounded by the old familiar things. I had grown tired, or so I thought, of the unbroken blue of the sky and hoped for a few (just a few!) scattered clouds. 

The message is there of course which has been stated so often that it should not surprise me: humans are, by nature it seems, perennially discontented creatures. Speaking only for myself I find that an act of will is wholly insufficient to alter my mood. Only time will make the change. In the meantime the most I can hope for is not to inflict my gloomy sentiments onto others. Solitary walking is the answer. I shall go out where the darkness sets me free.

No comments:

Post a Comment