Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 30 November 2020

Praise indeed

 Monday, November 30th., George Street, London.
 
I had a letter from Gide a few days ago, and wrote back to him today.
 
His letter gave me the greatest satisfaction, and I told him so. No appreciation that I have ever received, Conrad's included, has given me greater pleasure than Gide's. He has the idea that I have adopted a new manner of writing. Well, perhaps I have but it is rather that I am older, a little wiser, and rather less constrained by convention; at least that is how I see it. There were definite symptoms in "The Pretty Lady" and it may be that was where he got the idea from. Some younger men are inclined to think it my best novel; it isn't.
 
My film is progressing and I am visiting ateliers. This first film will be nothing but when I have broken down the outer defences of the trade I hope to do something better. I told Gide so, and also mentioned the flurry of activity around my work in Paris at the moment. Probably he already knew. That man Lanoire has translated several of my books and Grasset is to publish them. God knows how they will read in French.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment