Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 28 February 2014

Writing easily

Sunday, February 28th., Rue de Calais, Paris.

I finished another section of "A Great Man" yesterday at 3.30 p.m., having written nearly 10,000 words in a week. I ought easily to complete the book by March 20th. It seems amusing enough, and very good in places. But if I treated this as a draft, and really thought out types, and made the book fuller, I could make it much better. However I have a mania for producing a lot just now. And further, this sort of book though I can do it, is scarcely my natural genre. I do not take quite the same interest in it as I take in a serious book, nor do I get quite the same satisfaction out of a passage which I know to be done well. And often I have the greatest difficulty in starting my day's work. I am all right when I have started. But the starting is penible.

Additionally for February 28th., see'Changing perceptions'

We went to the British Museum. Elgin marbles the greatest sensation I have had for a long time. I used to think them cold. Now I see how passionately they were done. The illuminated MS. also made an entirely new appeal to me. And I was more than ever determined to do some decent illumination.

No comments:

Post a Comment