Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 17 February 2020

Ready for anything

Monday, February 17th., Comarques, Thorpe-le-Soken.

36 Beautiful Portrait Photos of Victorian and Edwardian ...I am chiefly occupied with the stage. I give a considerable amount of time to the Lyric, Hammersmith, where money has been lost in my absence owing to the lavish expenditure. And I am also being drawn into the production part of "Judith". I say drawn in, but in fact I am happy to be involved though I feign reticence. For a start Lillah Mc Carthy is taking the title role and I very much look forward to close observation of her in a state of undress (as much as we can get away with - she seems keen) in the climactic scene. Lillah is much taken with the play and on Tuesday last we had a three hour meeting with Eaton and Drinkwater about the rest of the cast. I think Marguerite may be a little jealous of Lillah, which isn't a bad thing.


Arthur Keith's quotes, famous and not much - Sualci Quotes ...I finished Professor Arthur Keith's "The Human Body" (Home University Library). A thoroughly sound little book, rottenly written, even to bad syntax. It is strange that these experts, such as Keith and Sidney Webb, do not take the trouble to be efficient in their first business, the vehicle of expression. I was amazed, but shouldn't have been, as to how ignorant I am about the workings of the body. We simply take it for granted, until it goes wrong, and then all we want to do is to get right again. At the moment I feel well-informed but I know that the knowledge will soon fade and become faulty.

This morning though I was feeling very well indeed. We have had quite a storm over the weekend - heavy rain and high winds. Significant flooding in some places. So, out walking I stuck to the roads and made paths and breathed deeply, and cleared my head of the various problems and aggravations, professional and domestic, of life. It was good. I strode out and covered the best part of six miles in two hours. Tired and hungry when I got back, and slept well after lunch. Ready for anything (almost) now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment