Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 1 May 2018

Moral dilemmas

Saturday, May 1st., Cadogan Square, London.

Started on the correction of the second part of "Lord Raingo". Two hours or so of this and then I went up by bus to Welbeck Street to see Dorothy. The miners' strike was on, and the posters said that the Trades Union Council had ordered a general strike in sympathy starting at midnight on Monday. Great gloom especially as I had been sure of, and had prophesied, a settlement of the coal trouble. I am going to have to clarify my thoughts now that the whole industrial 'problem' is coming to a head. Which side am I on? The words I put into Edwin Clayhanger's mouth come back to me: "... workmen on strike are always in the right; at bottom I mean. You've only got to look at them in a crowd together. They don't starve themselves for fun." And I didn't write that for fun. It was what I thought then. Do I still?

This business of being a father is taking some getting used to. Whenever I meet people my first thought is: "Do they know?" And then I am wary as to how they will react. I must be coming across rather strangely in consequence, but they probably attribute it to my being a first-time father at the age of 59. If only Marguerite had been willing to divorce we could have regularised the whole business and I would behave naturally. The fact is I am a conventional person at bottom. I don't like the idea of having a bastard daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment