Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 4 May 2018

The little things

Monday, May 4th., Villa des Nefliers.

These are the things that give me the liveliest pleasure among the little things of weekly life: opening and glancing through the Athenaeum and the Nation on Monday mornings, especially the advertisements of new books; walking in the park and in the town in the morning when everything is fresh; eating my lunch; drinking tea; and reading after I am in bed. Formerly the last was a problem as I got sleepy too soon, but now that my afternoon nap is 'institutionalised' I read until quite late. There are few things to compare to settling down to an anticipated read when everywhere is quiet, no distractions. 

I finished my T.P. article at 9 a.m. this morning, and then strolled about the town and forest, finding and arranging ideas for the next chapter of "Old Wives' Tale". But I also found a most charming brocanteur, with lovely Empire gueridons for sale at a reasonable price.

No comments:

Post a Comment