Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 31 October 2019

Dancing and dressing

Sunday, October 31st., London.

I finished the first installment of my new novel "Mr. Prohack" (14,500 words) on Friday afternoon, two days in front of schedule. I have done more of this in October than I hoped to be able to do. I think I can best describe it as workmanlike, unlikely to win any literary plaudits, but it will be a good read, and should bring in some much needed income.

On Friday night Olive, Marguerite, Legros and I went to the Hammersmith Palais de Dance. It was the first time I had ever danced in public. However there was no ordeal about it. I even danced with Marguerite who knows less about dancing than I do. Intense respectability about the whole place. The instructresses had a certain chic, at least for Hammersmith, perhaps not for Paris!

Dickins and Jones, Regent Street, London. British ...Yesterday I went with Marguerite to Dickins & Jones new shop, in Regent Street, and was much pleased with the ribbon department. I was as usual struck by the felinity of the women customers with the vendeuses. These latter I suppose get into a habit of diplomacy and forebearance. They need it, by God! The dress department head, a decent, worn, diplomatic sort, showed enormous tact after we had put her to a certain amount of trouble about a dress which we had not the slightest intention of buying. I had hoped that we might indulge ourselves in a little "fooling around" in the trying-on room, which we have enjoyed on occasion in the past, but M. obviously wasn't in the mood. In fact she has been a little cold on the physical front lately. Well, we are neither of us getting any younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment