Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 1 November 2019

Operatic inspiration

Sunday, November 1st., Rue de Calais, Paris.

Opera Comique. "Carmen". 2nd Act excellent. And all good and shapely. Charlotte Wyns as Carmen was very good - just the right amount of sauciness. She could have tempted me to almost anything! Hard to believe that when the opera was first performed here in 1875 its breaking of conventions shocked and scandalised its first audiences. Rather tame now in comparison to some of the things to be seen in Paris, but it has an emotional punch which has not, in my view, been bettered.

All this last week my whole existence has been upset and monopolised by that story and by people; and I seem to have lost the faculty for rigidly planning out my days into sections. I have studied no French at all; and this journal is reduced again to a mere chronicle. But perhaps I am being too hard on myself. What was it my mother used to say about "making Jack a dull boy"? Paris inevitably gets into the blood and I cannot expect, or desire, that I should live my life here as if I were in London or, God forbid, the Potteries. People and places are my material after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment