Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 26 March 2018

Bits of news

Sunday, March 27th., Berkeley Street, London.

The 285th and last performance of "The Title" occured on Saturday at the Royalty. A good house. The provincial tour which began some weeks ago was a failure for the first fortnight. I am not optimistic that things will improve.

Sir Henry Norman, 1st Baronet - Wikidata
Sir Henry Norman
While I was being shaved at the Reform on Tuesday Henry Norman came in and waited. He read me a letter from his wife who is inspecting the Fronts to make a record for the Imperial War Museum. He told me other things not in the letter. As that English women are still looking after French 'permissionaires' at the railway stations and that French women do nothing in this line and even try to prevent these women from getting lodgings in the towns. I regard the Englishwomen as silly for doing it, and can understand the French resentment. It seems to me that they are ineffectual 'do-gooders' motivated by some perverted sense of caring; in fact it is all self-interest. I continue to maintain that there is no true altruism in the world.

BEAUTIFUL Edwardian Actress Miss Lillah Mccarthy Postcard ...
Lillah McCarthy
It seems that the French soldier is very rough when drunk or half drunk. That does not come as a surprise to me. I would have thought it was characteristic of soldiers everywhere! One woman apparently had coffee thrown in her face three times. Another was stabbed and killed. The English psychology is very queer in these things.

Rehearsals of "Judith" going along fairly well. Lillah McCarthy and Frederick Keeble are to be married. This news was something of a surprise to me. Keeble must be 50. Fortunately Lillah is a consummate professional so the play will not be affected. In spite of distractions I have written one complete 'woman' article at home each weekend for 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment