Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 26 April 2018

Exhausted

Wednesday, April 26th., Rue de Calais, Paris.

Paris life is exhausting me, but it is inexhaustible. I know so many people, see so much and talk so much that I cannot concentrate on anything. At bottom is the sex question which I must resolve. I have sworn to marry by the time I am forty and that deadline is approaching. I meet many attractive, intelligent and interesting young women but how to make progress?

Today for example I met Miss Thomasson at the Salon. She is American, an artist. Small, slim, dark. An effective woman with large bright eyes and dark eyebrows in striking contrast to a tower of prematurely silver hair. I have known her for more than a year now and speak to her freely on subjects which are more usually discussed in male company. I cannot deny that she raises my heart rate, and she seems interested in me. Almost I think she invites a deepening of our relationship, yet I have felt inhibited from making a move. She is a free-thinker. Perhaps that is what intimidates me due to my conventional upbringing? I have even imagined being married to her! 

I cannot think sensibly. I really need the help of a male friend who I can rely upon to give me genuine and sincere advice, but there is no-one. I know what Wells's advice would be: make love to her first and then decide what to do! But I am not Wells.

No comments:

Post a Comment