Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 13 April 2013

New life

Tuesday, April 13th., Cadogan Square, London.

My daughter, Virginia, was born today at 7.50 a.m.
I went up to Welbeck Street at 9.30 and saw the child at 10 a.m., when she was two hours old. She weighed 8lb. 1 oz. and had a big head.
I have written to Richard to say that all is excellent.
The maternity home is at 27 Welbeck Street and we drove back there on Sunday after dining at the Hanover Restaurant. I heard Dorothy's views about the psychology of nurses, and learnt a few things about the atmosphere of a maternity home. The doctor also threw some light on the mentality of nurses. he said: "Of course you must see the humour of nurses." The nurses were admittedly very nice young women, the night nurse particularly.


The London Welbeck Hospital was established over 90 years ago as a maternity hospital. The hospital’s reputation and facilities were of such a high standard that it became known as one of the best maternity hospitals in the country, and as a result of this many famous people were born here.


Yesterday, at 9 a.m. I received news that Dorothy had slept four and three quarter hours.
I cleared up correspondence, and arrived at Welbeck Street at 11.50. Took Dorothy out for a short walk.
At one o'clock I went to lunch given by International Magazine Company to Ray Long. At 3.15 I left the Ritz and went straight up to Welbeck Street. I left just after 12.30 and drove home.
I met Siegfried Sassoon at the Reform.
I was most dramatically struck when I saw the bassinette or cradle full of clothes lying all ready outside Dorothy's door.
I shall shortly be 59 years old, so today's event is profound indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment