Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 9 May 2013

A day of fun

Wednesday, May 9th., Yacht Club, London.

On Sunday I had an idea for a short novel about an episode in the life of a French cocotte. I thought I could tell practically everything about her existence without shocking the British public.

On Monday afternoon, after doing my Daily News article I did my first water colour of the season. In the garden. Rather goodish.

I came to London Tuesday. Lunched at Webbs. Apropos of Squire's poem in current edition of Statesman the Webbs were both very funny. Mrs. Webb especially. She said: "Poetry means nothing to me. It confuses me. I always want to translate it back into prose."
See also, 'Understanding life' - April 24th. http://earnoldbennett.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/understanding-life.html

Homan's and Alcock's. Two quartets and a quintet before dinner at 8.45. Good male dinner, with champagne. During and after dinner, we had from Norton the finest exhibition of story-telling I ever heard. I was exhausted with laughing.

Later W. Alcock gave several parody treatments of "Three Blind Mice" according to Haydn, Chopin, Mendelssohn and Grieg. Admirable. Werg and Hill played solos. I got to the Club at 1 a.m. and a half-dressed, half-asleep waiter let me in. This was one of the finest evenings I ever spent in my life.





Sir Walter Galpin Alcock MVO (1861 – 1947) was an English organist and composer. He held a number of important posts as an organist, playing at the coronations of three monarchs. He was also professor of organ at the Royal College of Music, London.

No comments:

Post a Comment