Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Feeling tired

Saturday, May 28th., Villa des Nefliers, Fontainebleau.

I was forty-three yesterday.

Last week at the Gaiety, Manchester, "Cupid and Commonsense" played to £202 11s. It was the week of the King's funeral, and there were five evening performances and a matinee.

See also, 'Cupid and Commonsense' - August 30th. http://earnoldbennett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/cupid-and-commonsense.html

Yesterday I had more success in finding ideas for the last part of "Clayhanger" but I had no success in drawing. I seemed to spend all afternoon in merely arranging still-life objects, and I couldn't decide on any of them. But on Thursday night I did a pretty fair study of Marguerite. I couldn't read anything, except newspapers. I couldn't answer any arrears of correspondence. And after doing nothing all day I was so tired I had to go to bed at 9.15.

No comments:

Post a Comment