Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 10 October 2016

Gloriously lost

Thursday, October 10th., Les Sablons

A magnificent October day. I walked 4 miles between 8.30 and 9.30, and then wrote 1,000 words of "The Old Wives' Tale" which I began on Tuesday.

This afternoon we penetrated into the forest with our bicycles and without a map! Had to walk miles, got gloriously lost, and at last reached home after 2 hours 40 minutes of labour. Far off, in an unfrequented path, we came across three old women sitting in the hedge and discussing mushrooms. I do so enjoy these brief glimpses into the lives of others.

I had hoped to have a quiet doze before dinner but the unexpected arrival of M. and his son put paid to that. The boy and I spent a very happy hour together making and demolishing castles we made from wooden blocks. In my view wooden blocks are the only indispensable toy for a growing child, and I welcome the excuse to play with them myself!

So, I am feeling rather tired this evening and anticipate retirement to bed with pleasure. I had hoped to devote some more time to my study of Oriental religions but the concepts I have come across so far are difficult to make sense of and I am unlikely to do them justice unless fresh and alert.


No comments:

Post a Comment