Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 29 April 2018

New home

Wednesday, April 29th., Villa des Nefliers, Avon.

The Arnold Bennett Blog: Self awarenessOn Thursday last, the 23rd., we moved into our new house. By Monday morning we were sufficiently straight for me to resume my novel. Tiring but enjoyable to arrange a new home, finding places, establishing systems etc. Not without some loss of temper and disagreement, but nothing significant and I enjoyed the 'making up'. I have a feeling of liberation. Will I write differently out of the city?

Ullman came down yesterday, fresh from the U.S.A. I asked him for his impression: "Is the U.S. a good place to get away from?" He said: "On the whole, yes". Then went on to say that for a visit he thought it would interest me enormously. I think so too. He said that I could form no idea of the amount of drinking that went on there. I disagreed with him on that. No doubt he is exaggerating. I should think that excessive drinking is to be found anywhere except perhaps among the Mohammedans. Probably even there, but more discreetly.

Something I have noticed in myself. A distinct feeling of jealousy on reading yesterday and today accounts of another very successful production of a play by Somerset Maugham - his third now running. Also, in reading an enthusiastic account of a new novelist in the Daily News today, I looked eagerly for any sign to show that he was not after all a really first class artist. It relieved me to find that his principal character was somewhat conventional etc., etc. Curious! I must admit to myself however that I am usually secretly pleased when an acquaintance has some misfortune, and I hate to be told of someone in my social or family circle who has done well. To acknowledge another's achievement with enthusiasm is beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment