Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 21 April 2018

Walking

Saturday, April 21st., Cadogan Square, London.

Menai suspension bridge, Menai Strait, Wale at Science and ...Excellent short break in North Wales. Weather marvellous. As my mother always used to tell me: "The Devil looks after his own!"  Unusually warm for April and, apparently, more so in London than where I was. Glad of that. I lodged in Menai Bridge which is a most pleasant little town, picturesquely situated on the straits which separate Anglesey from the mainland. Dominated by Telford's suspension bridge. I was reading about Telford. Remarkable man - son of a poor shepherd in Scotland and rose to become one of the pre-eminent Victorian engineers. I doubt it could be done now.

Plenty of healthy exercise and I am definitely leg-weary. Walked around the Penmon area, along the coast between Moelfre and Lligwy Bay, to Llanddwyn Island through the Newborough Forest, around Geironydd and Crafnant Lakes in Snowdonia, and around Llyn Padarn at Llanberis. Lots of Welsh spoken. Couldn't understand a word! People friendly though, at least those few I spoke to. Mostly I kept to myself and thoroughly enjoyed being able to please myself - nobody to consult, consider or compromise with!

I made a start on re-reading "Hilda Lessways" last evening. Disappointed. At this early stage I don't feel that the book has the energy of "Clayhanger", and Hilda herself is not convincing as a character. I shall of course persevere and hope for greater engagement as the plot develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment