Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 10 December 2019

Double entendre

Tuesday, December 10th., Comarques, Thorpe-le-Soken.

I have been having a little fun with E. F. Spence drama critic for the Westminster Gazette. He is excellent at his job, and we have had some correspondence in the past though we have never met. Clearly a man of discernment as he has expressed publicly his admiration for my work. Anyway, I think I have caught him out in saying that 'double entendre' as spoken by Miss Jean Aylwyn in defence of the farce "Who's the Lady" at the Garrick Theatre is a mistake in French. I think not.

If it is bad French, which it may be, then I argue that the phrase has become English, and rendered righteous by use, like blancmange and connoisseur, words incorrect in French but which Spence would no doubt permit himself to employ. I suppose that most languages enrich themselves by these transfers from other languages. Custom, and not logic, is the main factor in the growth of the language, and quite right to; a language is a living thing and those of us who love and use words should enjoy that fact.

Jean Aylwin, Scottish actress and singer.... - The past is ...I have in fact seen Miss Aylwyn in the farce. She plays the part of a cocotte and I can attest from personal experience that she is credible in the role. I hear that the Lord Chamberlain has observed her occasional state of undress in the play with some dismay. To his credit, Spence does not think the play obscene; nor do I. Miss Aylwyn is a rather attractive young woman with particularly good legs, shown to advantage at times during the play. I wouldn't mind going to see it again! What Miss Aylwyn apparently said was: "There are people who are ready to see a double entendre in everything". She is right about that as well. I am one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment