Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 21 December 2019

Incidents of war

Monday, Decmeber 21st., Comarques, Thorpe-le-Soken.

First World War Recruitment Posters | Imperial War MuseumsGeneral Heath, Colonel Ryley and a sub called to see me yesterday morning. Heath, still greatly preoccupied with the question of civilian behaviour in an invasion, showed me a proclamation which he was having printed about sniping etc. He also showed me a draft proclamation to coastal population about bombardment. It was clumsy. I offered, with proper diffidence, to re-draft it. He consented. I think that is what he came for. I posted him the new draft last night.

Two naval officers Lieut. Hogg and Assistant Paymaster Simmons on motor bikes for tea. Hogg told me a tale of a soldier (cavalry) wounded in a charge, who lay on the field with the spear of a lance sticking in him. Another English soldier came along and was asked to remove the spear. Just as he started to do so he was shot through the brain. Then a group of Gemans came along and began to loot bodies. Without troubling as to the spear, they took the wristwatch off the cavalryman's wrist, but just then a shell burst among them killing or disabling all of them, but leaving the cavalryman untouched. He was ultimately saved. I think Hogg believed this to be a true account. Simmons, I thought, seemed older and wiser. There must be so many of these sorts of stories doing the rounds. I fully expect somebody else to tell me the same thing (with a twist here and there) before too long.

Today I heard firing at sea which seemed to be like a battle, and not like firing practice. The first time I have had this impression since the war began, though we have heard firing scores of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment