Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 23 December 2019

Humbug

Thursday, December 23rd., Cadogan Square, London.

Some interest is being shown in making "The Pretty Lady" into a play. I think there is potential in the idea but I made it absolutely clear to Saville when we discussed this yesterday that Christine must remain absolutely a prostitute. Otherwise the thing loses its point entirely.

Kings road from Sloane Square, pub on the right is the ...It took me a long time making trifling Xmas arrangements before I could think at all about "Accident". Twice I started out for a reflection walk, and twice had to come back almost at once. But eventually I did get down to the Reform Club where I had 35 minutes to write down notes and have a glass of sherry before lunch. I browsed about a bit in Sloane Square on my way home just watching people as they dash about in a frenzy of shopping. Peter Jones department store seemed to be particularly busy. I find it all quite depressing in a way. A festival in mid-winter seems entirely appropriate, though it has been appropriated by the christians, but it is being mercilessly exploited for commercial reasons. I have taken to calling it 'Humbug' instead of Christmas. Dorothy seems not to be amused.

Happily by the time I sat down to write this afternoon I had the necessary ideas for the continuation of my chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment