Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 16 February 2020

I am an author

Wednesday, February 16th., Fulham Park Road, London.

Arnold Bennett’s A Man from the North | Vulpes LibrisAs I opened the front door this morning to leave for the office, the postman put a parcel in my hand. It was from John Lane, and it contained the first copy of my first book, "A Man from the North". Imagine that. I could hardly believe I was not dreaming. As a fact my heart was beating like the clappers and my breathing became shallow. I untied it hastily and after glancing at the cover gave it to Tertia to read. All day at the office I have been saying to myself: "I am an author". 

Tonight, with some ceremony, I picked the book up and indulged myself in the feel and smell of the thing. Then I looked through the tale, picking out my favourite bits. The style seemed better than I had hoped for. I am still pinching myself, but there it is, a tangible product of my heart and mind.I hope, trust and believe it is only the first of many.

No comments:

Post a Comment