Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 14 February 2020

The last time

Sunday, February 14th., Hotel Nettuno, Pisa.

We left Rome this morning.

Via Appia Antica, Rome, Italy | Via Appia Antica, one of ...Yesterday was a lovely day and Dorothy would go out for a drive along the Via Appia Antica. I told her it would tire and upset her, but she wanted to go, and we went. She was correct. The advantages of seeing the Campagna on such a day were obvious. The views were marvellous, especially the skies and other distances. Dorothy said she wanted to see it 'for the last time'. She repeated the phrase several times during the afternoon. Lots of people take a keen pleasure in the supposed sadness of seeing a thing for the last time. In fact I do myself. How many times have I revisited a favourite place, by the sea or out in the country, by myself, and wallowed in the thought that this might be my last time; it enhances the experience I think. And there seem to be no limits on how many 'last times' can be enjoyed!

Nettuno.jpgI find that this year I have written more words than I have spent lire, and as a lire is worth 2d. and my words ought to be worth nearly 2s. each, I should be all right on balance.

We left Rome easily and comfortably for the 11.55 lusso to Paris, and got off the train at Pisa punctually at 5.25. A marvellous, cloudless, sunshiny day, with ditto scenery the whole way and smooth travelling. Descended at the Nettuno at Pisa. The plumbing in these Italian hotels is barbaric. Hot and cold water in each room and private bathroom (140 lire per day the lot), but the water running away out of the basins makes a perfect hades of a row - so much so that they cannot be used at night without waking the person in the next room. And single doors between rooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment