Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 21 February 2020

Ruthless

Friday, February 21st., Comarques, Thorpe-le-Soken.

I have been up to my neck in the mud of work, especially proof-correcting. But I have at least got my improper novel entirely off my mind and don't want to hear anything more about it except highly favourable reviews and immense cheques. 

There was a bomb on St. Pancras Hotel on Sunday night and on Chelsea Hospital on Saturday night. No official casualty figures as far as I have heard. Yesterday there was a fog. We now like fogs and rain - except on moonless nights.

Lunch with Rosher to meet Kennedy Jones at Thatched House Club. He is a Glasgow man, aged 52, with pale eyes, and when talking he screws them up a little, and looks far away as if cogitating on the most difficult and interesting aspects of what he is discussing. Largely affectation I think. He struck me as a powerful and ruthless man, but I wouldn't have any of his ruthlessness. When he was firm, I was firmer. In spite of the superior knowledge of which he boasts he has already lost two bets to Rosher about the war. I wouldn't like to be one of his 'men', but he was interesting enough to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment