Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 20 December 2013

Family matters

Monday, December 20th., Cadogan Square, London.

I swore to write 365,000 words this year, and today I have reached the number. But of course I shall write still more.

Richard informs me of more problems in Rochdale where his father, my sad, alcoholic brother, lives. What can I say to him? It seems there is some prospect of a new job for Frank and I hope it will be fixed up, but the important thing is for them to keep expenditure within income - whatever the latter is. I can see no point in trying to help them financially, & I certainly do not want to do so. I have given a great deal of help in the past, but as far as I can judge it did little but harm. I said in the most solemn manner that I would never do it again, & I have a most strong desire not to go back on my word. This does not mean that I don't sympathise very much with Frank. I do.

Speaking of family, I had a letter yesterday from a cousin I have not seen for about forty years. She has had no contact with anybody in the family for at least the last twenty. She is more than ten years older than me and was of course a woman, and married, when I was still a child, so we didn't see much of each other. But I remember her fondly. She was unique in the family at that time in having 'done well' at school, and qualified as a teacher. The letter has unsettled me a bit and I find that I am rehearsing possible responses in my mind. She suggests possibly meeting and I am attracted by the idea, though a little apprehensive as well. We certainly will have some 'catching-up' to do. 

Additionally for December 20th., see 'Haig & Co.' -
http://earnoldbennett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/haig-co.html

Cheering in distance. Handkerchiefs taken out. One or two mounted policemen on fine horses. Then a sort of herald in a long hat. Handkerchief waving, cheering, louder and louder. Then the four carriages, 3 in first carriage and 4 each in the other 3. Generals wore no overcoats. One or two bowed and smiled. Gone in a moment and we all jumped down and turned away. Such was the welcome to Haig and Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment