Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 13 February 2021

Cheered up

 Monday, February 13th., Cadogan Square, London.

To Lucas's restaurant where we entertained Marcel Achard and wife; Mimi and husband. Alfred Beit also came. The others gradually left but Achard stayed, at my request, and we talked there till nearly five o'clock. He is only a young chap but intelligent and excellent company. We then went into a Russian tea place, which was interesting. I have a disinclination to work, a chill in the head and more acute insomnia. yet quite well enough to go about. I am doing no work except articles. I don't know how long it will last. It has lasted about two weeks so far. The annoying thing is that everybody tells me how well I look!

I was cheered up considerably this week when I discovered that my work has become of interest in academia. This both surprised and delighted me. It turns out that a Doctor Hudson, of Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, has published a paper in the journal Geoforum entitled

"Arnold Bennett, Geography and Architecture: A Literary Synthesis". I have read it, several times, and it is good. Dr. Hudson describes himself as a literary geographer and it seems that, unbeknown to me, some geographers are using books like mine as a source for research. Hudson says that my writings are "a particularly rich source". Wonderful! Essentially he argues that geography must take account, if it is to have value, not only of places per se, but of how people experience them. He says that "no other literary artist domonstrates a better understanding of the nature of geography". He also notes the considerable changes, economic social and technological, that have taken place during my literary career, and finds that I have shown in my writing a deep understanding of them. This is all extremely gratifying!

On the domestic front, we have decided not to go ahead with the idea to build a house on land at Aldwick. In fact I have sold it for £1,400 free of agents commission; this means a profit of £300 in less than a year. I also expect to make a good profit on a Modigliani picture which I bought ten years ago for £50. I certainly had quite a sound instinct for Modiglianis and ought to have trusted it more, for I could have bought two at the time instead of one, equally good, at the same price each. I hope and expect to get at least £1000 for this one.

But we are no nearer deciding what to do when the lease runs out here, and I foresee strife ahead.

 

Arnold Bennett, Geography and Architecture: A Literary Synthesis, Geoforum, 119. February, 2021, pp. 94-101.


No comments:

Post a Comment