Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 17 February 2021

Starting to write

Wednesday, February 17th., Victoria Grove, London.

A very productive period. Last week I drafted 7,000 words. When I say drafted I mean that the stuff is rough because that is the method I have at the moment. I know myself and my absurd limitations and I have to get results as best I may, by dodging etc. If I were to begin to write carefully, straight away, weighing and arranging with proper nicety, I should get sick of my work in a week. I can't do much at once and I can't keep on for long even in spurts, without real or sham results for my encouragement. This is due to a lack of sustained determination in my composition. The needed dogged purposefulness is not there. I have found that out and I know that I can't put it there no more than by taking thought I can increase my height. Consequently I have to reckon with it.

So, I divide my task into little portions which look big. Any sort of a draft will do for me, provided it is of proper length. And in the first draft I am content to get down the facts. The facts being down, I have done something, there is a foundation to work upon. Strange that this foundation being laid, I seldom have any desire to alter or amend it. In fact I believe I have a considerable natural gift for arrangement, enhanced by my editing experience, which makes changes of foundation supererogatory. In the first draft I don't pretend to go deep or to arrange minor detail. I only make sure of my general outline as I go along.

The mere writing is appallingly unfinished. It can claim to be grammatical, but nothing more. But I have something to look at. Last week I produced over 35 pages of close writing. I have lifted the thing up to a certain height, whence it can't possibly fall down. The rest of the mountain can be taken in easy stages. I am the sort of writer who has a defined and definable purpose. I go in for unity of theme partly because I like it, and partly because it is easier to get effects with a simple single theme than it is with a complex one. A small man can make a largish sort of effect if he confines himself to one single character, with no relief, and turns it inside out. That is what I intend to do. At the moment I haven't got the creative impulse, or the writing experience, for a big theme, but I fancy that one of these days it will be there, and then we shall see something!

No comments:

Post a Comment