Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 10 February 2021

Much exhausted

 Wednesday, February 9th., George Street, London.

I arrived here from Monte last night, three and a half hours late, after one and a half days in trains and a steamer. Much exhausted this morning. I had quite enough worries and harassments on coming home, but the worst by far of all this morning is the news that my agent J.B. Pinker died suddenly in New York last night. Apart from the fact that he was a very old friend of mine, he had the whole of my affairs in his hands. There is no other really good agent in England. The difference between a good and a bad agent might mean the difference of thousands a year to me.

In spite of extreme tiredness I am off to Eastbourne this afternoon to see my play "The Love Match" which is, I hear, in difficulty. I am not surprised, and would prefer to leave it to its fate, but I have promised to go, and go I will. Kyrle Bellow, (or is it Bellew) has the lead role. I don't know much about her but she claims to have acted in films in the U.S.A. I have had a sore throat for a fortnight, and today I am really taking it in hand, sprays etc. In this connection my caretaker here, Mr. Tayler, is a marvel. He looks after me with the most touching solicitude, even coming to my bedroom last thing at night to see that I am 'tucked up' rightly. It is one of the astonishingest examples of personal devotion I have ever known. I think he may have been a batman in the war. I am taking him with me to Eastbourne!

The background bother is of course to do with the separation from Marguerite. Marie Belloc Lowndes, on behalf of Marguerite, is trying to arrange some sort of reconciliation. When I get back, and am somewhat restored, I will write to her and give a full account as it is evident that she has been taken in by hearing only one side of the story. But mainly I will tell her that she is wasting her time. There is no going back for me; it is not in my nature. Someone else asks me about the future of the Anglo-French Poetry Society. I thought only Marguerite cared about it. Well, it seems that the Committee has resigned en masse in protest at M.'s insistence that Legros be included. It will all break up now, without my guidance and cultural weight behind it. But in any case it could not long have survived the acute boringness of the performances!

No comments:

Post a Comment