Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 9 February 2021

Too busy

Wednesday, February 9th., Yacht Club, London.

Came to London today. First good, clear frost of the winter. Very sharp. I am suffering from lumbago but otherwise in good form. I am so busy, mainly with war work, that it is difficult even to find time to reply to letters from friends. I have signed a contract to dramatise "Sacred and Profane Love" for Doris Keane, a really fine American actress. I won't start it until Easter time, and don't expect to take very long, but it should be lucrative if successful. And "These Twain" is a great success both here and in America. It has sold better than any of my previous novels, in spite of critical doubts. Those people I know who have read it tell me it is the best description of real marriage they have ever come across.

Lunch at the Reform. Pinker came. Methuen joined us about alleged coming 'revolution' in price of novels. It seems that of the Council of the Publishers' Association who had suggested it, only four published novels at all, and none published novels on any scale. So they obviously know what they are talking about! Characteristic. We told him that the scheme of different prices would never work, and coached him as to what he should say at the grand meeting on Monday.

Then to W.A.R.C. offices. Difficulty with Lord X. as to my having put name of Queen Alexandra on posters for concert. Typical. I flatly disagreed with him, which I don't think he is used to or expected. And I showed him that I was in fact logically right, and in a spirit of recociliatrion drafted a letter for him to write to the Queen. It is his sort who give the aristocracy a bad name.

No comments:

Post a Comment