Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 19 June 2014

How I go on

Thursday, June 19th., Comarques, Thorpe-le-Soken.

Yesterday I finished the first half of the Harper novel. Wrote 1,400 words on Monday. But, exhausted by work, and by an excess of physical exercise (taken to cure liver) I took a froid sur la digestion on Monday night.

Yesterday I wrote 1,900 words between 10.15 and 1 o'clock. Enormous. Went to bed immediately after dinner, feeling cold on shoulders and ventre (cependant temp de 20 degrees centigrade in bedroom); had a hot water bottle, which so stimulated me that I had no desire for sleep until 3 o'clock, when it was light again. I had three hours sleep at the most. Nevertheless I feel fairly fit this morning. This is a fair sample of 'how I go on'. Today I have no doubt I shall find all necessary ideas for the last article of the series, "The Story Teller's Craft".

Additionally for June 19th., see 'Dark thoughts'

Reading "Le Lys Rouge" tonight. The love scene (Chap. 23) in which Therese tries to rid Decharte of his ideees noires concerning her absolute fidelity to him, is extremely fine in its sensual way. It is just the sort of thing that A. France can do, and it atones for much of the invertebrate quality of the book. If I can accomplish anything as good in "Carlotta" I ought to be satisfied.

I had idees noires myself tonight. There are certainly times when the fact that existence is a choice of evils presents itself too clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment