Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 22 December 2017

A gift

Saturday, December 22nd., Comarques, Thorpe-le-Soken.

Wells came for tea to Club on Thursday, and talked about his very long novel, which he stated to be a terrific indictment of the present state of England.

Image result for "G T Bagguley" bookbinderA most remarkable thing has happened. For some time now I have had occasion to use the firm of Bagguley in Newcastle-under-Lyme to bind books for me when I need them. Two weeks ago I sent four books for binding: three Claudels and a "Ballads". I mentioned to Bagguley in my accompanying letter that I had shown some of his bindings to bibliophile friends and that they were staggered by the quality of workmanship. They supposed that work of that quality could only be done in London. I explained to them that London is just the place where it can't be done. Yesterday I received from Bagguley, as a gift, a bound "Candide" which is the most beautiful gift I have received in my life, and gives me intense satisfaction. I have spent most of my time since gazing at this work of art. I have now discovered that the craftsman responsible is a man named T.E. Caley and I have written to offer him my most sincere congratulations on his extraordinary skill. It is superb and I am proud to come from the part of the world from which it came.

No comments:

Post a Comment