Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 30 December 2017

Winter escape

Saturday, December 30th., Hotel Belvedere, Mont Pelerin sur Vevey, Switzerland.

Image result for Hotel Belvedere, Mont Pelerin sur Vevey, SwitzerlandWell, here we are in Switzerland, about 3,100 feet above civilisation. I intend that we shall stay here for at least two months and I expect to take it just a little easier after a year of very hard work indeed. I think that I have written over 400,000 words.

Image result for The English review magazine 1908Today I sent off a copy of "A Matador of the Five Towns" to Ford Madox Ford who asked me for a long story. It is for publication in the English Review and I am pleased with the result. Since I completed "Simon Fugue" I have felt there was more to be wrung from the character Loring - through him I am able to look at, and write about, the Five Towns in a different way. I told Ford, in the accompanying letter that a painter once said to me in handing over a sketch I had bought from him, "I think this will give you pleasure". The story is between 11,000 and 12,000 words, a little shorter than Henry James' story in the first number, but I think Ford will be content. I haven't seen the second number of the English Review yet, but the first gave me great pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment