Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 28 December 2017

When in Rome

Thursday, December 28th., Hotel de Russie, Rome
Image result for hotel de russie rome history 
I have just finished a letter to Thomas Bodkin who has been kind enough to send me a Christmas gift which awaits our return. I told him I am looking forward to his book "The Approach to Painting", which I know will be original. Here in Rome there are pictures aplenty, but sculpture reigns. I have been to Rome twice before but I'd never grasped until now what a terrific monument the place is. I shouldn't now were it not for the tireless resistless enthusiasm of Dorothy. I don't think I ever had so much energy, even in my 'prime'.

I drove along the Appian Way yesterday afternoon - all among the tombs and other ruins, with hills in the distance and aqueducts in the half distance. Never have I had such sensations! No, never!

I am also finishing my new novel.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment