Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 26 December 2017

Domestic issues

Sunday, December 26th., George Street, London.

Two thoroughly bad nights, full of the church clock. Still I wrote over 4,000 words of my novel in 3 days, with lots of preoccupations, almost all to do with my wife. How altered time appears to be at night. I never sleep through the night but usually go more or less straight back to sleep after the necessary visit. I always manage without putting on a light and try my best not to reach full consciousness at all. After several years of practice I am quite adept. But, occasionally, I find myself unable to get back to sleep. I have tried all the normal strategies and sometimes they work. If all else fails I surrender to wakefulness and read for an hour or so. That almost invariably does the trick.  

I shall have to have it out with Marguerite soon. She likes to pretend that I am jealous of Legros. It flatters her to think so. But it is not true. I am incapable of being jealous, probably because I should regard a woman capable of doing anything deserving jealousy as not worth being jealous about. She seems to be infatuated with the man. He is a personable young fellow in his way and pays her much attention. She is clearly flattered and no doubt feels a boost to be admired by a younger man. I would feel the same myself if admired by a young woman. But I hope I would retain the good sense and dignity to recognise the situation for what it is. Regrettably Marguerite appears not to possess the requisite good sense. I have been hoping that she would wake up, but instead things are getting worse.

As for presents at Christmas, it seems that she does not agree with me that present-giving should be not a duty but a pleasure. To give to one whose behaviour is constantly wounding, as Marguerite's is to me, is not a very keen pleasure. When she realises what is due to me, and acts accordingly, she will not go short of presents. I am confident that my will is the stronger. Of course, if she allows the infatuation to go too far then I will have to act. I fear there may be further broken nights ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment