Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 20 December 2017

Theatrical affairs

Wednesday, December 20th., Cadogan Square, London.

I have written to Knoblock today as I haven't seen him for some time. Apparently he has had an ear operation which left him depressed but is now on the way to recovery. I told him it is imperative that he takes the upcoming rehearsals as I have neither the skill nor the will. And if The Great Adventure is revived next year, as I expect it to be, he will have to help in the rehearsals for that as well.

I have had a whole series of trifling illnesses this autumn, but am now extremely well. The only good thing about illness is that it makes you appreciate health when you have it. mainly I have been engaged in writing articles and short stories, but I've also written the Prohack play up to nearly the end. I am not satisfied with it and have put it away for three months; I hope to get it right when I come back to it fresh. I have also rewritten The Bright Island.

I have been active in assisting Donald Calthrop in his Shakespeare productions. To my mind he is a wonderful producer but it is my interest in one of the actresses that has drawn me there. I have gotten to know, and become very friendly with, an actress named Dorothy Cheston who acted five years in the USA but couldn't get a job here. I introduced her to Calthrop and on the strength of what I said he actually gave her the part of Viola, without ever having seen her act. It was a frightful risk for him but I knew she would come through and she jolly well has, and has had some great notices. Needless to say she has been appropriately grateful for my help. My difficulty now is deciding how to proceed with her. She knows of course that I am married but has made it pretty obvious that she would welcome a 'close' relationship. Is that what I want? She is an attractive younger woman, and good for my manly confidence, but I have only recently escaped from one wife, and have been enjoying my bachelor existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment