Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 30 January 2018

Courting

Tuesday, January 29th., St Simon's Avenue, London.

I had an appointment at the hospital to see my consultant this morning. Waterwork problems. All to do with my age. Nice chap. Very matter of fact and efficient. Doesn't waste words, for which I am thankful. Anyway, some small improvement seen from a blood test and no cause for immediate concern. Good news for me and I felt 'lighter' when I came out than when I went in. It is the prospect of any sort of surgery that disconcerts me so to be told that there is no need to worry at least for another six months is excellent.

Tonight sheets of rain and strong wind. I put on an overcoat and mackintosh to go to the corner of the street to the post. Several times lately I have noticed a couple that stand under a big tree at the corner, next to the pillar-box, shielded by the tree trunk from the lamplight. They stand motionless, with hands nearly meeting round each other's backs, tightly clasped. They were there tonight. The man was holding an umbrella over them. Can't see what sort of people they are. In the first place I don't like to intrude and in the second place the shade is so dark. There will be a story of course. It is an affecting scene which I may be able to work into a book one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment