Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 21 January 2018

Grey day

Sunday, January 20th., Cadogan Square, London.

Worst sort of day weather-wise. Grey, dismal, a steady sleet making any sort of venture into the outer world unpleasant. Regrettably I had to go over to Chessington on a family matter which could not be deferred. It was horrible. But the matter in question is being progressed towards a conclusion. I quite often find that people are overwhelmed by a problem and consequently make no progress with it. The secret is to break it down into parts and tackle one at a time.

I have been reading in a book called "Arnold Bennett of the Five Towns" which was sent to me by its author, one L.G. Johnson. I gather he is a Staffordshire man and claims to have 'grown up' with some of my characters. It is a good book. His appreciations and his animadversions are full of interest, significance - meat! The book is incomparably better than Darton's. Although Darton had evidently been to the Potteries to study the topography he failed to find in Burslem the equivalent of 'Duck Square. Yet this square indisputably exists under the name of Swan Square, just as Duck Bank is really Swan Bank. How he could have missed this passes understanding. He also failed to realise that 'Axe' is in fact Leek. 

Johnson clearly knows his Potteries and makes some insightful observations about, and criticisms of, my books. He considers that "These Twain" 'narrows down' the trilogy. Well he is right about that, but not in the way he thinks. It was intentional and deliberate, and part of the scheme as a whole. Compare the much more drastic narrowing down into domestic life at the end of "War and Peace". I cannot remember whether I read "War and Peace" before or after I planned "Hilda Lessways", which I consider to be quite inferior to "These Twain". I have received the most passionate testimonies to the authenticity and force of "These Twain". It was written from the heart and contains not a little personal experience. Frank Swinnerton calls it a 'tour de force'.

No comments:

Post a Comment