Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 23 January 2018

Social rounds

Sunday, January 23rd., Comarques, Thorpe-le-Soken.

Image result for Gabrielle Dorziat
Gabrielle Dorziat
I have been ill for most of the week in London. Feeling better having been home for the weekend. I even forgot what I did for some of the time but it seems to have been an endless series of social engagements. I find it difficult to refuse invitations and yet rarely think that time spent in society has been worthwhile.

One evening I dined at the Carlton with Gabrielle Dorziat and Knoblock. She is a little worn physically but very intelligent, amusing and natural. I suppose she must be in her late thirties now. Definitely an attractive woman, and very stylish. She reminds me of Lena Ashwell who I have secretly lusted after for some time. Something about the eyes. I believe she was instrumental in popularising the designs of Coco Chanel. I understand that she is on her way to the USA to raise money for war refugees. We went on to a dreadful Scotch play at the Royalty; shouldn't have bothered.

On Wednesday I lunched with Doran and Messmore Kendall and Wells at the Savoy. HG held forth on the future of North and South America. There seems to be no topic on which he isn't both well-informed and opinionated.
Image result for Doris keane actress
Dorsi Keane

One evening (not sure which) I dined with J. R. Richmond at the Yacht Club. Marguerite had returned to Thorpe in order to go to the Colchester Hippodrome. We went on to "Il Trovatore" at the Shaftesbury. Very old-fashioned with a few good things. Horribly conventional plot and acting. I walked to the hotel in thick rain. Probably didn't help health-wise. 

On Thursday Doris Keane came to lunch. She is still playing on and off in Sheldon's "Romance". Apparently Sheldon is in love with her but the feeling isn't reciprocated. Another glamorous woman in her thirties. I wish I was feeling better so that I could appreciate them. I learnt a lot about her, and got some general ideas abouit how to write a play to suit her. By the by she is a great reader and likes my books.

On Friday, after a third sleepless night I lunched with Methuen at the Reform. By this time I didn't know if I was "punched, bored, or countersunk" as my father would have said. Still I was cheered that he told me "These Twain" had sold 13,350 in the first week. Some rotten reviews. Apart from anything else the book is too jolly true for some people. They say it lacks the ideal. Well it does, because life lacks the ideal. What they mean is that it refuses to be untruthful. Several of the best critics have noted this with satisfaction and laudation.

No comments:

Post a Comment