Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 25 January 2018

Desolated

Tuesday, January 25th., George Street, London.

Image result for matheson lang "Wandering Jew"
Matheson Lang
A desolating night on Monday at the New Theatre to see Matheson Lang in Thurston's "The Wandering Jew". Terribly old-fashioned and ugly, but his acting was very good. Lang wanted to buy "Don Juan" but he insisted on doing his own scenery and producing. Also he would only pay me half my demanded terms. That clinched things! So I told Eric Pimnker to call it all off. It really is a delicate matter negotiating the sale of a new play; Hopefully Lang will think things through and make a better offer. If not, there is more clay still in the ground!

Yesterday we took Jean Godebski to the Aladdin panto at the Hippodrome. Goodish. I met Harry Preston there. In two minutes he had given me a cigar, invited me to a dinner and invited me to a boxing match. The man is a sort of whirlwind in human form and it is difficult not to be swept away by him.

I picked up Pauline Smith's "The Little Karoo" last evening and read the first story. It was good. Better than my introduction I think which I found to be a bit terse. It may be that as she is a sort of protege of mine I tried too hard not to sound 'paternal'. I was caught by the story as when I first read it. Simple. Affecting. Well done Pauline!

No comments:

Post a Comment