Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 28 October 2018

A different world

Thursday, October 28th., Cadogan Square, London.

Nigger Heaven: Carl Van Vechten, George S. Schuyler ...I read half of Carl van Vechten's "Nigger Heaven". A short book. Quite good and interesting in its exoticism. It has generated a storm of controversy because of its scandalous title and fed an insatiable hunger on the part of the reading public for material relating to the black culture of Harlem's jazz clubs, cabarets, and social events. The book centres on two young people--a quiet, serious librarian and a volatile aspiring writer--struggling to love each other as their dreams are slowly suffocated by racism. Its style, language and subject matter are problematic for me if I am honest and I fear that when I finish it I shall say there is nothing in it, really. The fact is that my literary notions are rather fixed. Probably twenty years ago I would have relished it.

Old Photos of Mudeford in Hampshire in England, United ...We have been away for last weekend to a relation in Hampshire. Quite a sudden cold snap of weather, but glorious blue sky on Saturday and we went down to the sea at Mudeford, near Christchurch. Very pleasant stroll along the promenade. Beach huts. A few children playing on the beach. Plenty of people walking about, enjoying the bracing air. Across the water the Needles at the western end of the Isle of Wight were sharp and clear. A commendably refreshing experience. I wonder sometimes why I don't live by the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment