Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 23 October 2018

A rich vein

Wednesday, October 23rd., Villa des Nefliers.

In reading Stendhal's unpublished journal in the Mercure de France, it seemed to me that in my journal I waste a great deal of time in the proper construction of sentences. Quite unnecessary to do this in the recording of impressions. On the other hand, suppose my journals were to be published at some time in the future? Am I content, with this possibility (though slight) in mind that my writing should be merely impressionistic? It depends on the purpose of the journal, and that is something I have not, as yet, grappled with effectively. Certainly impressions were my original idea but as my reputation grows why not think that even these writings may be of interest? Better impressions than nothing at all, but well-constructed sentences are a pleasure to the writer as well as the reader; so if I have the time why do a thing less well than is in my power?

Still much rain here. A perfect baptism of damp this morning in the forest, though not actually raining. The forest all yellow and brown. Good fungus weather. A lot of those large toadstools with a bright red cap which I believe are poisonous. No idea what they are called. Leaves falling continuously. Horse chestnuts quite yellow. Sound of water occasionally dislodged from trees by the wind. I feel like an intruder when walking alone in the forest in this weather.

I have written over 2000 words of the third chapter of "The Old Wives' Tale" yesterday and today. I planned the chapter perfectly yesterday morning in the forest. There is no doubt that I am established in a routine of excellent work at present. If I continue in this vein the book will be my best yet, and my journal may start to seem more significant!


No comments:

Post a Comment