Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 24 October 2018

Hyde Park Sunday

Sunday, October 24th., George Street, London.

Four orators in Hyde Park. One: a sort of imitation working man, old, on political themes. Good crowd. Extremely dull. Two: an oriental preaching Islamism in fluent English with exaggerated Rs. Extremely dull. Three: a young manpreaching I don't know what, though I listened several times. Monotonous gestures. Extremely dull. Four: an evangelistic scene. A little man with a big nose, and a group of attendants including five or six dull women. Bad singing of bad hymns. Extremely dull. Still, he did say: "When I lived in the country and worked on my farm the girl came out and shouted (very loudly) "Mr Way" "What" "Dinner". "Ah! That was a good moment. But God's dinner is better than that. On the farm I wanted a fresh dinner every day. God's dinner lasts for ever ......" etc. How on earth do these people get to be the way they are?

Someone once said to me, or I may have read it somewhere, that speaking extempore from a soapbox in Hyde Park is one of those things every man should do at least once in his lifetime. I suppose I can see what he meant. Some of the other things were: sex with a prostitute, commit a murder and sleep rough. I seem to remember that I was quite impressed at the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment