Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 29 October 2018

A humiliation

Thursday, October 29th., Rue de Calais, Paris

I have had awful difficulties with the French language since I came here. Somehow, very illogically, I thought that the mere fact of residence in Paris  would mysteriously increase my knowledge of the French tongue to a respectable degree. I remember that I was advised to haunt the theatre if I wished to perfect my French. The first play I saw was Edmond See's "L'Indiscret" at the Theatre Antoine. I entered the theatre hoping for the best. I had read the play in advance. I did not however succeed in comprehending a single word - not one. 

CPA FRANCE 75018 "Paris, Montmartre, le Théâtre de la ...I am to be seen three or four nights a week in the front row of the stalls (so as to hear well) of the little theatre de quartier round about Montmartre. Last night for example I went to see the new 'revue' at La Cigale. I was really astonished by the breadth of some of the double-meanings that were explained to me. On the whole it was not as good as the last one I saw there. But the mounting and stage management and, especially, the figures of the women of this little Montmartre theatre are not surpassed anywhere in Paris, and the 'revues' are certainly better than any others I have seen.

So, after studying French for twenty six years, the man in me who had written scores of authoritative articles on French literature has been deeply humiliated. I have been taking lessons as well as attending the theatres and, enchantingly, I have begun to understand bits of phrases heard in the street. A corner has been turned! I am almost pleased with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment