Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 25 October 2018

Being creative

Monday, October 25th., Villa des Nefliers.

After two days dyspepsia I felt much better this morning and began to work at a quarter to eight, and at 11 o'clock I had been out for a walk in the rain and read the newspapers and written a complete draft of Act II. I hated doing it. This afternnon after painting I walked to Les Platreries and arranged the whole scheme, and most of the characters, of my next novel - the first of the "Clayhanger" trilogy. Assuredly a great day. After that I did a bit of muy Landor dictionary and then it was dinner time.

Weather colder; but still mainly bright. Magnificent moonlight night. What I am always wanting to do is a few landscape sketches, in words, just as material for use. And I never seem to have the power, or really the energy, to concentrate sufficiently for useful observation. But yesterday and Saturday, in my dyspeptic idleness, I had several ideas for new books. I feel that at the age of 42 I am in the most productive period of my life, from a creative point of view. I have noticed how creativity tends to decline with age and I must make the most of the juices as they are flowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment