Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 17 February 2019

Hot and Cold

Wednesday, February 17th., Rue de Calais, Paris.

I really enjoyed working on my novel today, and this although I had a headache most of the time. Usually I am incapacitated by a headache, but this time I worked through it. It is the best thing to do I know but usually I feel so sorry for myself that I can only sit quietly and groan.

An acquaintance (female) accused me yesterday of lacking emotion. The circumstances were a sort of public street celebration which we came across by accident - lots of cheering, people hugging each other, laughter and general bonhommie. I can't actually say I found out what was being celebrated. In any case I was my usual reserved and cautious self; hence the accusation. In fact it isn't true. I have a great deal of emotion, but it has been so long consciously suppressed that my reputation as a 'cold fish' is cast iron. Why is this? Well of course we weren't encourage to ventilate feelings as children or as young adults, but I think that my shyness (not helped by my speech impediment) caused me to erect a sort of defensive shield and it became ingrained. Quite often I find myself on the verge of tears in an emotional situation, especially where there is music involved, but I will do almost anything to cover up. Frankly I would like to 'let go' but cannot do it. I envy those people who can immerse themselves without thought or shame in popular feeling. I am sure that their life is richer as a result. On the other hand, I have noticed that those who experience heights of emotion are often subject to the opposite as well. So my only consolation is that depression never takes me.

I bought Mercier's 18th century book "Le Tableau de Paris" on the quays this afternoon and found it excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment