Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 18 February 2019

Theatricals

Wednesday, February 18th., Comarques, Thorpe-le-Soken.

Returned from London today.

"Rivals for Rosamund" received with amiable indifference at Palace Theatre on Monday night. Last night I went to see it myself with J. Atkins. The first half was quite well received; the second half coldly. This was right. It is no real good, and if I had realised this earlier I would not have let it be done. Production and acting goodish. Mildly amusing at times. I don't imagine that it will have much of a run.

Characteristic of theatrical methods. My name was misspelt on the painted notice in front of the Vaudeville Theatre, and the title of the short play was given wrongly in the illuminated sign in front of the Palace Theatre. 

Dress rehearsal of "Helen with the High Hand" on Monday night was good. The original end had been restored, with my chief emendation preserved. How will it go? I wish I knew. My time seems to be oriented increasingly towards the theatre these days, socially and professionally. Of course it is in the theatre that real money is to be made and I have established a life style which demands real money, and lots of it. A reputation is all very well, and is of great assistance in getting anything published, but it doesn't count for much when the public (and the critics) have taken their seats. Are treadmills still in use in prison? I feel sometimes as if I am on one.

No comments:

Post a Comment